Continuous Lines

Newsletter for AMQA Inc members

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Newsletter No.22

Editor’s Message

Hi Everyone,

I hope you have all had a good start to the year. I had a bit of a reality check a few weeks ago. My clothes dryer had a malfunction and could easily have burned down my house. It has led me to think about having a disaster plan. I have discussed this and have the full story of my dryer further down the newsletter.

The AMQA Show has been forefront in committee discussions for quite a while and we are really ramping up the action with entries due in July. You can enter the AMQA Show online and we would love to see lots of your quilts there. There are a total of eight categories, from edge-to-edge to wholecloth to machine embroidery. Pay attention to your favourite quilts that you have quilted for yourself or for clients and enter them. We have well over $11, 000 in prizes up for grabs!!! As the old saying goes - you’ve got to be in it to win it. Here is the link to enter http://www.amqa.com.au/index.php/events/amqa-show-2012/amqas-2012-entry-form

Tonia Brooks has been working very hard for AMQA in procuring sponsorship for the show and we are proud to announce our sponsors in this newsletter. Please remember them and give them your support next time you need a product/service they offer.

Here is a reminder to join the AMQA Yahoo Group. As the time to the  AMQA Show draws closer, I anticipate that there will be more discussion and announcements made. To join, sign up for a Yahoo ID at www.yahoo.com then click on the groups link or go to www.groups.yahoo.com and search for AMQA Members then click the next link to join the AMQA Yahoo Group. Sounds hard, but it is pretty straightforward. Once you have joined you can opt to have messages emailed to you as they appear or have a daily digest of the day’s messages sent to you all at once. All of the committee members read the yahoo group messages and can answer any questions for you there.

Michele Turner editor@amqa.com.au

President’s Message

(Acting) President’s Report

It has been exciting and sometimes daunting to consider the work needed to bring a quilt show into being. I am pleased to report that due to the committee’s dedication the show preparation is on track and it has been great to see the numerous sponsors join with AMQA Inc. to make the show a wonderful event. Currently the prize pool value stands at over $11,000 in cash and goods.  This is wonderful and our thanks go to the many sponsors so far.  A list of companies and businesses has been added to the website as they have sponsored the show; please take the time to have a look, www.amqa.com.au .

 

As the show nears there will be a call for volunteers to help with some duties during the shows open hours, please consider signing up if you will be there.  Our arrangements for setting up the show have been altered to include Thursday 27th Sept as many who are coming also wish to attend the Ricky Tims seminar (AMQF) on Friday 28th.

 

We have been able to secure judges for our quilt show.  Both Kerry-Ann Riles and Helen Godden will be teaching at AMQF as well as judging for AMQA Inc.  I have been able to arrange to be present on judging day and certainly look forward to seeing this aspect of the quilt show.

 

I am still working on my entries for the show and have quite a few hours of work ahead of me.  It would be great to see an entry from all our members and please let your friends know of the opportunity to enter as well.  We have had one query about a junior entrant, at this stage we do not have a junior section but this can be reviewed before the next AMQA Inc. Show if feedback indicates such.

 

Our AGM has been set for the 2nd August 2012 at 12midday EST.  Meetings occur via Skype linkup.  Please contact the Secretary to be added to the call list, all are welcome.

 

Happy Quilting

Raylee Bielenberg

Acting President AMQA


vp@amqa.com.au

AMQA Show - Adelaide September 28 to October 1 2012

Call for Entries

The AMQA Committee are working very hard to bring you the AMQA Show for 2012. We have sponsored and cash prizes to the value of over $11,000 total for eight categories. We thank the following sponsors for their contribution for prizes for the Quilt Show and ask that you visit their website or call them next time you are looking for products/services for your quilting business. If you are reading this newsletter on the Continuous Lines Blog, here http://continuouslines.blogspot.com.au/ the links are clickable.

 

Walters Imports ph 07 3277 0799

 

Dayview Textiles


Dayview logo

 

 

Malanda Quilting and Sewing Supplies

Malanda Quilting AMQA Logo1

 

 

Australian Machine Quilting Festival

AMQF logo ai

 

 

Westalee Rulers


Westalee logo

 

 

 

Threads and Tangles


Threads TanglesLogosfw AMQ

 

 

Victorian Quilters Inc

 

Vic Quilters PDF

 

 

 

Kennard & Kennard

Logo   Kennard  Kennard

 

 

Know How Sewing Essentials

 

Know how quadratnolting hinty

 

Horn Australia

 

 

 

Pinetree Cottage Quilting - A1 Quilting Machine Dealer

 

Pinetree logo final

 

 

 

 

 

All entry categories and terms and conditions can be found at this web address - http://www.amqa.com.au/index.php/events/amqa-show-2012

Think about your favourite quilts that you have quilted in the last year or so. If they are your client quilts, it is OK to enter those with permission from your client. Perhaps you have your own quilt that you are particularly proud of. Please enter them and support the AMQA Show.

The judges for the AMQA Show are Helen Godden and Kerrie-Ann Riles. Their profiles are listed on the AMQA website, the link is here http://www.amqa.com.au/index.php/events/amqa-show-2012/2012-judges

Volunteering at AMQA Show/AMQFestival

The organisers of AMQF have fortunately been able to allocate the Thursday September 27th as AMQA Show set up day. If you are able to volunteer some time to help set up, it would be very much appreciated. The bonus is that you are free to then attend the Ricky Tims Seminar on Friday September 28.

You can volunteer to help with other aspects of the Show/Festival as well. Even if you can spare only 2 hours your help will be welcome. To volunteer your time at the AMQA Show / AMQFestival, please go here  to fill out the form. To streamline volunteer allocation, this will be handled by AMQFestival organisers. Thank you.

Feature Article - Disaster Can Strike

by Michele Turner

Here’s the story - I was home alone (well, the two doggies were with me) and I had turned my dryer on and headed upstairs to have a shower. Once I was done and about to dry my hair, I popped my head out into the bedroom and thought I could smell smoke. I went out of the room and not only could I smell smoke, I could see it too!! I immediately suspected the dryer so I ran down the stairs clad only in my jeans and bra yelling out “no! NO!” I ran into the laundry and yanked the power cord from the wall. I opened the dryer to see if there was any lint in there and acrid black smoke poured from the dryer vent. Yikes.

I next thought to pull the dryer from the wall and get it out of my house so it didn’t catch fire. Of course it got stuck and I couldn’t yank it free. It was smoking but there were no flames. It was decision time. I called ‘000’ because I would rather have them here when the flames came than not and I could not yank that thing off the wall. Oh boy, I tried. I ruined the wall with my efforts…and had the bruises to show for it too.

I grabbed a shirt out of a clothes basket and put it on - no need to frighten the firemen - and they arrived quite quickly and got the dryer out of there for me. They pulled the clothes out of the dryer and they were all burnt smelling and oh so hot. A potential disaster was averted. It all happened so quickly, but I was able to have time to make a mental list of things to save. My thoughts were to 1. Get the dogs out. 2. Get all of the client quilts out - luckily I only had about 5 in the house at the time and 3. Get my hard drive so I don’t lose my business records.

This is relevant to everybody because now I am asking myself if I should have a crisis plan for my quilting business? Now I am thinking of ways to minimise risk, and have a backup plan.

To minimise risk, I prefer not to have more than 10 quilts here at any one time. I book in custom jobs and take in all overs as they come. I store them all in a labeled box in a particular cupboard. In an emergency. They are all to be found in one place and not far from a door so I can grab them and chuck them outside. That works for fire, but what if you live in a flood prone zone? Out local river also flooded that same weekend. What would I have done in that case. I am asking myself, but also asking you what would you do to save your client’s quilts in case of flood or fire. Do you have a plan??? And do you have insurance???

I keep all of my client records on my computer. I backup regularly, like daily. I have a little hard drive permanently attached to my computer that I can unplug and use if my computer crashed. But this would be absolutely useless if my house burned down or it was ruined in a flood. I am now making it my mission to back up my files online. I have yet to research how to do this. I think that even iCloud or Dropbox would be sufficient. Does anyone else do this and have any tips for me???

So one minor breakdown of my dryer has led me to make these plans. Please think about this for yourself and make a plan for yourself too. Whilst it was amazing how quickly I accepted that my house could burn, and that the stuff I may lose was just stuff. Other peoples stuff in my care was very important to me, and the contacts that I have built up over the years were too.

I bet you’re thinking that I had a dryer stuffed full of lint, right? Well. No. I have a brother in law who is a fireman who has well informed us of the million ways your house could catch fire, and the dryer was right up thereon that list. I have always cleaned the filter after each and every load. After 16 years of faithful service, whenever it rained for more than a few days (hey - there are six people in my household and washing can build up very fast) the capacitor was the culprit. Hubby pulled apart the dryer when he got home and the innards were pristine apart from the very melted electrical component inside. So please, look after your dryer and look after your home and business as well.

Michele

Achievements in Longarm Quilting

Congratulations to Karen Terrens for being juried into MQX East 2012 with her quilt Purple Haze, which was her 2011 AMQA Challenge quilt. Best of luck at MQX with that Karen!!!

Some Housekeeping…

AMQA Web Site

Find a Machine Quilter Page

Please have a look at your information on the ‘Find a machine Quilter’ page and check to see that it is current and valid. Some of you may have changed address, telephone number or e-mail address so please take a minute to check your listing. If you have a link, please make sure you take a minute to check that it is correct and your website is accurate and up to date. Sometimes we forget to update things on our web sites and any link to an invalid address or to incorrect information compromises the professional image of AMQA.

If you would like a web link attached to your name, please contact the Web Diva and give her the corrections to be made.

We hope that you take the time to check your information and notify us of any changes required. Thank You!

Behind the Scenes

AGM

The AMQA AGM date has been set for 2012. It will be held on August 2, 2012.

Please be aware that new committee members are needed if AMQA is to move forward as an organisation. This organisation does not belong to the current committee, it belongs to the members. If you feel that you have a contribution to make, then please consider joining the committee. If you see a need for improvement and wish to take action, then consider which role on the committee that you would best be suited for and put your hand up for it!

You may note that the AGM is to be held BEFORE AMQA Show. Please do not think that if you join the committee then you will be expected to take over the reins for the AMQA Show the month before it is on. The AMQA committee has a Show Committee which is functioning alongside the AMQA Committee. The Show Committee will see that the show is run smoothly and will cooperate fully with the new committee members that come on board.

Several members of the current AMQA Committee have been serving for a number of years now and are ready for a break. If AMQA does not fill a committee at the AGM then the future of AMQA will be in jeopardy.  You are implored to think about AMQA and what it means to you and how you can help. If you have been waiting in the wings or wanting to add your ideas then this is the time to put your hand up and go for it!!!

Hint and Tips

Don’t wash the SD card with your quilt pictures on it. Make sure you download and organise your quilting photos asap. Otherwise you may lose 3 months of pictures. Don’t ask a committee member how she found this out the hard way!!!

When you are quilting, take a picture of the top border, especially the corners so you don’t forget what you quiltied by the time you get to the bottom of the quilt. A tip by Michele Turner

Upcoming Events

July 31, 2012 CLOSING DATE FOR AMQA SHOW Enter Here http://www.amqa.com.au/index.php/events/amqa-show-2012/amqas-2012-entry-form

Position Vacant

Committee Members - we would love to invite members to join the committee. Your commitment is to be available for once a month voice linkup via SKYPE and help out on the committee. Please email the secretary, Tonia Brooks, for more information. The next meeting is April 19 2012.

Webdiva -  we need to have someone to keep tabs on our website. Duties will include but not limited to updating memberships on the website, adding photographs, general maintenance etc. The website is run on Joomla so if you have an interest or experience in web design, please get in touch with a committee member. Thank you.

Coming Up Next Time…

We NEED more pictures - please share your triumphs and quilts that you are extra proud of - don't be shy. Email them to me please! editor@amqa.com.au

Submission Deadline is April 20, 2012, so do it NOW!

Your 2011-12 Committee and Contact Details

President: Terry Elverd, WA president@amqa.com.au
Vice President: Raylee Bielenberg, ACT vp@amqa.com.au
Secretary: Tonia Brooks, Qld secretary@amqa.com.au
Treasurer: Gayle Dayman, SA treasurer@amqa.com.au

Membership Secretary: Gayle Dayman, SA membership@amqa.com.au

Minute Secretary: Val Towill, SA minutes@amqa.com.au
Web Diva: POSITION VACANT webdiva@amqa.com.au

Editor: Michele Turner, NSW editor@amqa.com.au


Committee Members:

Julie Nixon, SA committee1@amqa.com.au

Val Towill, SA committee2@amqa.com.au

Vicki Jenkin, VIC committee4@amqa.com.au

AMQF Liaison/General Committee Member

Tracey Browning, SA webdiva@amqa.com.au

AMQA Corporate Member

Our Corporate Member is:-

Lorien Quilting

Lorien Quilting - Australian publisher of machine quilting patterns by local and international designers.
We carry block designs and motifs, pattern sets and a huge range of pantographs for all sizes of quilting machine. Our pattern clubs are a must for adding variety to your pattern stash while saving big bucks!
Visit our website for discounts www.lorienquilting.com
We would like to give a special thank you to Hermione of Lorien Quilting for allowing AMQA to use her design "Fantasia" on the background of the new AMQA website.


No comments:

Post a Comment